Re: libtool/ltmain linking wrong stdc++

From: Taj Morton
Subject: Re: libtool/ltmain linking wrong stdc++
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:23:54 +0000 (UTC)

Ralf Wildenhues <Ralf.Wildenhues <at> gmx.de> writes:

> * Taj Morton wrote on Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 06:59:31AM CEST:
>
> Now, while your libfoo may not be explicitly linked against version Y
> (i.e., 'objdump -p libfoo' shows only one libstdc++ as NEEDED), any
> program using your libfoo and the installed libkdecore will cause both
> versions of libstdc++ to be needed (see 'ldd program' output) because
> libkdecore will pull in libstdc++.y.  And this can cause pain you don't
> want to suffer.
Yes, that would cause problems. I know that a C++ app must only have /one/
libstdc+ linked into it (or linked because of dependencies, or dependencies of
dependencies, etc). On my build machine (moria), I'm building Amarok, the KDE
music player. Amarok is written in C++ and links against kdecore. Moria is
building 2 binaries, one that is linked against libstdc++.so.5, and one that
links against libstdc++.so.6.

The Amarok binary that links against libstdc++.so.5 will ONLY be installed on
systems where libkdecore links against libstdc++.so.5. That way, `ldd amarok`
will only show libstdc++.so.5, correct? Because kdecore and amarok only links
against libstdc++.so.5 (given of course, that everything else links against
libstdc++.so.5)

Cheers,
Taj