Re: Splitting dependency_libs in *.la?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Splitting dependency_libs in *.la?
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:32:37 +0200

Hello Kurt, all,

Sorry for the delay.

* Kurt Roeckx wrote on Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 09:00:36PM CEST:

> Debian has a patch that sets link_all_deplibs to no.  This basicly
> doesn't use dependency_libs for shared linking.  Note that this causes
> various problems for which there are open bugs in the Debian bug
> tracking system.

Yes.  Besides the need to fix those bugs, there were various discussions
on this list concluding that some manual decision should enter about
deplibs being exposed to dependants or not.

> Because of this, Debian is more and more moving from .la files to using
> pkg-config's .pc files, which contains the info we need, and also has
> cflags (-Is) in it.

And that misses quite a bit of functionality that is otherwise provided
by the .la files.

> There is also an other problem when using conviences libraries,
> which basicly has the same problem adding dependencies.  This has
> also been discussed before, please see:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2005-12/msg00021.html

Kurt, the problem with convenience archives you're referring to, is
solely a user problem, for all that I remember.  Nothing in Libtool
needs to be changed for this issue (except maybe documentation
clarification).  IOW: That's what convenience archives are there for.