building apr on MinGW: libtool issues (was: libtool related build questi

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: building apr on MinGW: libtool issues (was: libtool related build questions)
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 16:53:36 +0100

* Bob Rossi wrote on Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 07:35:35PM CET:
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 07:11:08PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>
> > > is the -enable-experimental-libtool something this list endorses?
> >
> > FWIW, I have no idea what it does.  Is there documentation for it, or
> > source to read?  Where does it come from?
>
> I learned about this swich from the apr folks. http://apr.apache.org/
> This is a quote from someone,
>   It uses jlibtool, Justin's replacement for libtool.

Then please take all issues related to it over to this Justin.
(One wonders why he didn't announce it here, or cooperated in some way.)

> > Where are the XML_ParserFree and other functions located at?
> > Do you have a URL for the tarball you're building?
>
> I'm building apr, and apr-util from here,
>   http://apr.apache.org/anonsvn.html
> and I'm building log4cxx from here,
>   http://logging.apache.org/site/cvs-repositories.html
>
> I've built them all with mingw, and all of these packages, from what I
> can tell, use libtool.

Which libtool?  The GNU script one, or the other?

The error you encounter looks like some libraries expect the shared
libexpat, thus link error about the import lib.  But you link the
program against the static one.  Mixing both DLL and static libexpat
doesn't sound like a good idea.  FYI, with GNU Libtool the DLL usually
resides in $libdir/../bin, but that will be important to you only at run
time, rather than at link time.  I think the MinGW wiki has information
on how linking works there, and also about the various declspec issues
you may just be seeing there.

I can't help you with jlibtool problems.  Look in its documentation,
please, or ask someone who can.  If you can show an issue related to
GNU Libtool, then remember that giving a reproducible recipe (in the
form of: "wget ftp://foo.bar/pkg-1.2.3.tgz && tar xvzf ... && configure
&& make" or a small cut'n'paste example) greatly reduces work on my
side.