Re: building apr on MinGW: libtool issues (was: libtool related build qu

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: Re: building apr on MinGW: libtool issues (was: libtool related build questions)
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:23:17 -0500

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 04:53:36PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Bob Rossi wrote on Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 07:35:35PM CET:

> > > FWIW, I have no idea what it does.  Is there documentation for it, or
> > > source to read?  Where does it come from?
> >
> > I learned about this swich from the apr folks. http://apr.apache.org/
> > This is a quote from someone,
> >   It uses jlibtool, Justin's replacement for libtool.
>
> Then please take all issues related to it over to this Justin.
> (One wonders why he didn't announce it here, or cooperated in some way.)

Me neiher.

> > > Where are the XML_ParserFree and other functions located at?
> > > Do you have a URL for the tarball you're building?
> >
> > I'm building apr, and apr-util from here,
> >   http://apr.apache.org/anonsvn.html
> > and I'm building log4cxx from here,
> >   http://logging.apache.org/site/cvs-repositories.html
> >
> > I've built them all with mingw, and all of these packages, from what I
> > can tell, use libtool.
>
> Which libtool?  The GNU script one, or the other?

I'm not using the experimental libtool anymore. I thought it was a flag
to the GNU libtool as an option to turn on some experimental
functionality.

> The error you encounter looks like some libraries expect the shared
> libexpat, thus link error about the import lib.  But you link the
> program against the static one.  Mixing both DLL and static libexpat
> doesn't sound like a good idea.  FYI, with GNU Libtool the DLL usually
> resides in $libdir/../bin, but that will be important to you only at run
> time, rather than at link time.  I think the MinGW wiki has information
> on how linking works there, and also about the various declspec issues
> you may just be seeing there.

Yes, you are correct. I downloaded and installed expat-2.0.0. Then told
log4cxx about that, and it worked. Thanks for the help.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi