Re: MS lib program in msys

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: MS lib program in msys
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 19:52:22 +0100

Hello Christopher,

Thanks for the report.

* Christopher Hulbert wrote on Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 04:10:18PM CET:
> Libtool uses MS's lib program when not using gcc in windows. On msys
> "lib /out:.libs/liba.lib" is translated to "lib
> C:\msys1.0\OUT;.libs\liba.lib". I'm not sure when lib (or windows)
> started accepting "-" for options, but "lib -out" fixes the problem on
> Windows XP. Would there be any objection to changing that in mainline
> libtool?

I think that when we put that in, there were some older MSVC versions
that did no accept -out.  May be remembering wrongly, though.

> address@hidden ~
> $ lib /OUT:.libs/liba.lib
> Microsoft (R) Library Manager Version 7.10.3077
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>
> LIB : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\msys1.0\OUT;.libs\liba.lib'

Does
  lib //OUT:.libs/liba.lib

work?  Does anybody know whether doubling the slash can lead to problems
when used under Cygwin (I think they address shares that way)?  Not that
the Cygwin/MSVC combo works with Libtool now...

Thanks,