Re: [RFC] adding support for Linux FDPIC ELF

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: [RFC] adding support for Linux FDPIC ELF
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 15:02:11 -0500

On Saturday 13 January 2007 04:21, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Thanks for the patch.  Please send further patches to the
> libtool-patches list.

i wasnt ready to submit it yet as i'm not really familiar with libtool
internals ... figured i'd get feedback first, but should i be doing that on
the patch list still ?

> * Mike Frysinger wrote on Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 11:42:30PM CET:
> > i'm looking to add support for Linux on the Blackfin processor ... we use
> > FDPIC ELF as our format, so naturally it'd be nice if libtool didnt get
> > in our way when generating shared libraries :)
>
> Well, for a new port it'd be nice to see how the testsuite fares on it
> (see README for how to run it completely).

that may be a problem ... this port is not self hosting as it's no-mmu

> Besides a ChangeLog and NEWS entry.  ;-)

again, i want to make sure i'm doing it right before i blow pointless time on
ChangeLog and such entries

> > -linux* | k*bsd*-gnu)
> > +linux* | uclinux* | k*bsd*-gnu)
>
> [...]
>
> > +    linux*)
> > +      # Handle ports that support FDPIC ELF instead of plain ELF
>
> Are you adding support for two separate ports here, or is this just an
> inconsistency?

well the tuples i'm looking at are:
bfin-uclinux / bfin-linux-uclibc

i'll probably just drop the bfin-uclinux though which means drop the first two
hunks of the patch
-mike