Re: Compiler/Linker flags

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Compiler/Linker flags
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:30:19 +0100

* Christopher Hulbert wrote on Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 01:18:07PM CET:
> On 1/17/07, Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> wrote:
> >On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Christopher Hulbert wrote:
> >
> >> It seems that libtool is set up to strip unrecognized flags unless
> >> using something like -Wc,flag.  Can anyone give me a brief answer as
> >> to why? I often find myself going through hoops to get flags past
> >
> >The reason for the odd behavior is that libtool needs to know which
> >options should be applied to the compiler, and which should be applied
> >to the linker. [...]

> Makes sense. Now if the compiler is used for linking (which is
> generally the case for my compilations), would it make sense to allow
> unrecognized flags through?

As in, for example, `-MF foo.Tpo', erroneously passed by the
(non-Automake-using) innocent user in $(CFLAGS)?  Or, FWIW, -Bstatic,
which will let libtool make the completely wrong choices of libraries
(at the moment) if allowed through?  -Bstatic_pgi may very well also
be in the category that libtool needs to know about it; I cannot know,
you haven't told us what semantics it has, and the GNU/Linux PGI I have
access to doesn't know about it either.