Re: no .so file on HPUX platform?

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: Re: no .so file on HPUX platform?
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:31:36 -0700

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:

> * Ed Hartnett wrote on Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 03:02:01AM CET:
>> Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:

>> > The shared library extension should be '.sl'.  Please show
>> >   ./libtool --config
>> >
>> > and
>> >   ./libtool --features
>>
>> Here they are:
>>
>>  ./libtool --config
>>
>> # Whether or not to build shared libraries.
>> build_libtool_libs=no
> [...]
>
>> bash-2.04$ ./libtool --features
>> host: hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00
>> disable shared libraries
>> enable static libraries
>
> So something decided that shared libraries were not ok.  So we need to
> take a closer look what did that.  I tried to build this:
>
>> ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/snapshot/netcdf-daily.tar.gz
>
> on a hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00 system using this:
>
>> ./configure --enable-shared --enable-c-only
>
> (but with a VPATH setup).  And I get
>   enable shared libraries
>   enable static libraries
>
> and I get a nice library 'libsrc/.libs/libnetcdf.sl.4.0'.  'make check'
> succeeds as well.

That's wonderful news!

I only have this one HPUX system to test on, and it's pretty out of
date, I suspect. But if I ask them to upgrade it, they'll probably
just say "Nah, let's just get rid of it..."

So I say nothing and use what I have. ;-)

> So, we're still at the head scratching stage.  Ed, could you provide
> a build log, including config.log and configure output.  Probably that
> won't even show it either, so if you have time, go and put
>   set -x
>
> in the second line of 'configure', rerun that and upload the output
> somewhere.  If you must post it, be sure to bzip2-pack.

I have put the output here:

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/snapshot/hpux_shared_issue_configure.txt.gz

Thanks,

Ed

--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden