Re: no .so file on HPUX platform?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: no .so file on HPUX platform?
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:54:01 +0100

* Ed Hartnett wrote on Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 09:31:36PM CET:

> I only have this one HPUX system to test on, and it's pretty out of
> date, I suspect. But if I ask them to upgrade it, they'll probably
> just say "Nah, let's just get rid of it..."

Do you have aCC installed there?  If yes, could you try to build netcdf
with it?  Over here it's chosen, rather than CC, as C++ compiler.

> I have put the output here:
>
> ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/snapshot/hpux_shared_issue_configure.txt.gz

It shows two things: libtool doesn't support shared libs with CC on
hpux1[01]:
|         CC*)
|           # FIXME: insert proper C++ library support
|           ld_shlibs_CXX=no

Second, shared libraries are turned off if either compiler used in the
configuration doesn't support them.  (Whether the latter is a bug or
limitation in Libtool is another question; but I hope we can postpone
that one to another day.)

Good to know this one is settled for now.  Only one major HPUX-related
bug in Libtool to go.