RE: Windows C++ support impossible?

From: Duft Markus
Subject: RE: Windows C++ support impossible?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:45:03 +0100

Howard Chu <> wrote:
> Duft Markus wrote:
>> Are there any opinions on this. Should i simply say, that this
>> libtool feature is not available with wgcc/windows? This would mean,
>> that i would have to somehow disable *all* code generation in
>> libtool... Are their an objections against this?
>>

> That's probably OK in the short term. In the longer term, I think you
> could supply a tool with wgcc that generates the preloaded symbol
> table. Generating a valid object file that simply contains external
> symbol references is not a big deal, you can code that up without
> using a full assembler.

Yes, i think adding a tool for this would be OK. Still i'm asking myself
if it's realistic that on windows somebody is using this at all. With
our company for example there are just a few and very simple use-cases
for windows builds, that is just plain shared libraries, no magic stuff
or anything that is not supported by windows / the compiler anyways...
The only reason for enabling this on windows would be saving lines to
port to the windows platform (if dlpreload is used somewhere), correct
me if i'm wrong.

Cheers, Markus