Re: warnings from libtoolize, what do they mean?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: warnings from libtoolize, what do they mean?
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:43:04 +0100

Hi Ed,

* Ed Hartnett wrote on Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 07:30:09PM CET:

> libtoolize: copying file `./ltmain.sh'
> libtoolize: You should add the contents of the following files to
> `aclocal.m4':
> libtoolize:   `/home/ed/local_first/buddy/share/aclocal/libtool.m4'
> libtoolize:   `/home/ed/local_first/buddy/share/aclocal/ltoptions.m4'
> libtoolize:   `/home/ed/local_first/buddy/share/aclocal/ltversion.m4'
> libtoolize:   `/home/ed/local_first/buddy/share/aclocal/ltsugar.m4'
> libtoolize:
> `/home/ed/local_first/buddy/share/aclocal/lt~obsolete.m4'
>
> What does this mean? I don't construct the aclocal.m4 file
> anyway.

So aclocal generates it for you.  If aclocal reads the files in
/home/ed/local_first/buddy/share/aclocal, then you're set.

Another possibility is for you to ship these files alongside in your
package: in that case, aclocal.m4 won't contain their contents, but
include them with m4_include statements.  For this to work, put
  AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])

in your configure.ac (given of course you have a m4/ directory in your
source tree), and use `aclocal --install' or `libtoolize --install'
(CVS Libtool only) to add them there.  Don't forget the
  ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I m4

in the toplevel Makefile.am in this case.

> Is this a harmless warning or is there a serious problem here?

Harmless, but maybe over-ambitious, and confusing for the user.