Re: Compiler checks in AM_PROG_LIBTOOL

From: Fredrik Tolf
Subject: Re: Compiler checks in AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 15:52:27 +0100

Thanks for all the replies to my question! I'm perfectly content with
the fix being in CVS -- it wasn't exactly an urgent problem.

However, the following leaves me a bit curious:

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 10:04 +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> As a workaround (that AFAICS
> won't break things in the future) you can put
>   m4_defun([_LT_AC_LANG_CXX_CONFIG])
>   m4_defun([_LT_AC_LANG_F77_CONFIG])
>
> in you configure.ac before AC_PROG_LIBTOOL (for which AM_PROG_LIBTOOL is
> an older name).

I don't know much about how libtool works, but if the compiler checks
are so unnecessary that I can just forcibly remove them like that, why
were they put in libtool to begin with? Is it some kind of historical
leftover? Not that it matters practically -- I'm just curious.

Fredrik Tolf