Re: Shouldn't the definition of maintainer-clean be changed?

From: Benoit Sigoure
Subject: Re: Shouldn't the definition of maintainer-clean be changed?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 20:30:25 +0100

Quoting Bruce Korb <address@hidden>:

Not knowing the guts of this, my only complaint has to do
with the help text for ``--clean'' and the lack of consistency
WRT ``-c'' being an acceptable alias for it.

Yeah you're right, the message should be consistent in the different programs.
What about keeping:
"--clean              remove the files that would otherwise be created"
Actually the message might be misleading because the tool might remove files
that are already installed and that wouldn't be created because of that...

I thought that autoreconf deserved to have `-c' as a short option for `--clean'
because autoreconf has only few options ATM and since people are used to do
`autoreconf -fvi' it would be convenient to write `autoreconf -fvc'. The other
tools have many more configuration options and I wasn't sure that adding `-c'
wouldn't be problematic / conflict with already existing options.

aclocal wasn't meant to have the `-c' option.

--
SIGOURE Benoit aka Tsuna
  _____