Re: Bootstrapping CVS HEAD fails without a Fortran compiler.

From: Benoit Sigoure
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping CVS HEAD fails without a Fortran compiler.
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 07:37:49 +0200

Quoting Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden>:

Hello Benoit,

* Benoit Sigoure wrote on Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 12:42:52AM CEST:
[...]
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
checking whether  accepts -g... no
checking how to get verbose linking output from ... configure: WARNING:
compilation failed
checking for Fortran 77 libraries of ...
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran 77 libraries... none
checking for Fortran 77 name-mangling scheme... configure: error: cannot compile
a simple Fortran program
See `config.log' for more details.
make: *** [tests/f77demo/Makefile] Error 1

Please try
 ./configure F77=no FC=no

I've never seen this failure before and I never had a Fortran compiler installed although I already bootstrapped and used CVS libtool. Is it me or... is this
intended somehow?

Bug in Autoconf and/or Libtool (or their interaction).

Is there a bug report somewhere that explains this issue?  I did not find
anything on savannah...  Are you keeping bug reports / open issues on another
site?

BTW, I can simply run ./configure && make check but distcheck still fails in the
same way.  It also fails if I do a VPATH build.

I guess for distcheck you'd need
 make distcheck DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS='F77=no FC=no'

then (untested).

It still fails the same way.

I'm just starting to remember that I usually use CVS autoconf/automake with CVS
libtool, and I get this problem when I use MacPorts' autoconf 2.61 / automake
1.10 / libtool 1.5.22...

*tries to bootstrap with the last CVS snapshot I compiled on my system two weeks
ago*

Nope it also fails in the same way with my last CVS autoconf 2.61b / automake
1.10a / GNU libtool 1.2432 2007/03/09 15:08:43 2.1a

Thanks.

--
Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory