Re: Bootstrapping CVS HEAD fails without a Fortran compiler.

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping CVS HEAD fails without a Fortran compiler.
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 13:12:06 +0200

* Benoit Sigoure wrote on Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 07:37:49AM CEST:
>  Quoting Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden>:
> > * Benoit Sigoure wrote on Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 12:42:52AM CEST:
> >> [...]
> >> checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
> >> checking whether  accepts -g... no
[...]
> > Bug in Autoconf and/or Libtool (or their interaction).
>
>  Is there a bug report somewhere that explains this issue?  I did not find
>  anything on savannah...  Are you keeping bug reports / open issues on
>  another site?

For Libtool there is <http://wiki.azazil.net/GnuLibtoolProject/RoadMap>
and for this specific issue, Gary once even wrote a bug entry at
<http://wiki.azazil.net/GnuLibtoolProject/BugReports/ConfigFlagsForMissingCompilers>

There have been reports (more than one) on some autotools list.
No, I don't remember where; I could dig it out, but IIRC there
wasn't any conveying much more useful information.  I do know
that the AC_PROG_* area is very tricky business in some places,
also because they are very exposed.

> > I guess for distcheck you'd need
> >  make distcheck DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS='F77=no FC=no'
> >
> > then (untested).
>
>  It still fails the same way.

Yeah, I guess when I write `untested' that amounts to `99% chance it
doesn't work'.  :-/