Re: dll names on windows

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: Re: dll names on windows
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:12:49 -0400

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 11:23:20PM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
> Bob Rossi wrote:
> > I've recently converted pcre's (http://www.pcre.org/) build
> > system to use the autotools.
> >
> > The previous stable version of libtool, pcre-7.0, used to create dll's
> > on mingw. It would create
> >   $ ls .libs/*.dll
> >
> >     .libs/pcre.dll  .libs/pcreposix.dll
> >

> > Now, the new autotools version creates,
> >   $ ls ../../pcre-7.1-RC4/prefix-shared/bin
> >
> >   libpcre-0.dll  libpcrecpp-0.dll  libpcreposix-0.dll  pcre-config

So, now pcre uses the names directly above, which is the default
behavior. However, the pcre project would like to provide a backwards
compatible dll the user can use if they enable the configure switch
--enable-alt-win-dll (or something like that).

Is there any way that I can have libtool simply create a dll with the
new 'pcre.dll' instead of 'libpcre-0.dll'? Otherwise, I'll have to code
into the Makefile some commands to provide the user with what they want.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi