Re: libtool/ltmain linking wrong (/usr/lib) libstdc++

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool/ltmain linking wrong (/usr/lib) libstdc++
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:52:00 +0200

* Liviu Nicoara wrote on Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 03:58:19PM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>> * Liviu Nicoara wrote on Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 04:54:55PM CEST:
>>> I have attached it as a gzipped archive.
>> Was that with --tag=CXX?
>
> Yes it was:
>
> $ /bin/sh ../libtool --debug --tag=CXX --mode=link icpc  -g -O2   -o
> libford.la -rpath /tmp/install/lib -release 0.0.1  lib.lo &> libtool.link

Misunderstanding here.  I would like to see the output of
  ./libtool --tag=CXX --config

rather than the output of
  ./libtool --config

which I think you posted.

>>> I would expect the search variable sys_lib_search_path_spec to contain
>>> all paths explicitly specified in LD_LIBRARY_PATH. If this is not the
>>> case there are probably reasons which I do not see right now.
>> Hmm.  LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not something that is enforced to be equal for
>> all users of a system.  A library you compile now with some setting for
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH may not run for the next user, with her different
>> setting, nor for you from another shell.
>
> I would imagine that to be (IMHO) the easiest way for the user to
> explicitly indicate his/her preferences for a library.

But totally inappropriate for, say, cross-compiling, or multi-abi or so.

> Is libtool finding libraries via the paths of the executables
> (compiler driver, linker, etc.) as found in PATH?

I'm not sure I understand this question.  Libtool uses installed .la
files.  The configury also queries verbose output of the link editor,
and configuration of the runtime linker.  The compiler-added libs are
yet another special case.  libtool.m4 has all the gory details about
that, but basically it's a mish-mash of things that works more or
less work for most people.

Cheers,
Ralf (who didn't invent it, merely trying to not break it further)