Re: can libtool do universal binary

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: Re: can libtool do universal binary
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 20:16:26 +1000

Perrog wrote:

> Has anyone been using libtool for universal binary builds on Mach-O/Mac OS
> X?

I know a couple of users have tried that with my library libsndfile.

> Are there any other platform that have similar requirements?

Not that I know of.

> Or should universal builds be handled by other methods?

I think the whole idea of universal binaries is a really bad one :

   http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/FAQ.html#Q018

The main problem is that for libraries like libsndfile with a large
and comprehensive test suite, there is no way to run the test suite
for the cross-compiled CPU, the one for which the compiler is *most
likely* to screw up.

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
the usual way.  This happens to us all the time with computers,
and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin