normal ltdl linking suggestions?

From: Andreas Jellinghaus
Subject: normal ltdl linking suggestions?
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 10:49:15 +0200

Hi,

the libtool info document has several suggestions how to link with libltdl.
but they all imply to include the ltdl source in my projects source, and I
don't want to do that. Also with most distributions shipping ltdl as a
normal library with devel and runtime package, I see no reason for that,
and would like to use libltdl simply like any other library.

are there any suggestions how I should do that?
my preferred choice - using pkg-config - is not available.
it would be nice if libltdl could include a libltdl.pc file in the future!

so far I used this in configure.in:
dnl use ltdl
AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS(ltdl)

saved_LIBS="$LIBS"
LIBS="$saved_LIBS $LIBLTDL"
AC_CHECK_HEADER([ltdl.h], [AC_MSG_RESULT([yes])],
   [ AC_MSG_ERROR([ltdl.h not found, please install libltdl and/or
libtool]) ])
LIBS="$saved_LIBS"

but a co-developer found a problem with AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS which seem to come
from gettext macro packages, and we don't want to add an unnecessary
dependency on gettext only for using libltdl. Can you suggest a different
way for finding and linking with ltdl?

Thanks, Andreas