Re: normal ltdl linking suggestions?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: normal ltdl linking suggestions?
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 23:40:35 +0200

Hello,

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 10:54:34PM CEST:
> On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> >On Monday 09 July 2007 17:47:13 Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
> >>All the world is not Linux.  By not shipping libltdl at all, you're
> >>making life difficult for the users of hundreds of other platforms who
> >>will have to  install their own libltdl just to build your package,
> >>which many will likely decide is too much effort.
> >
> >well, my software works on linux, netbsd, freebsd, openbsd, dragonflybsd,
> >debian/bsd debian/hurd, mac os X, solaris and windows, and i think I got
> >success reports about aix and hpux, and embedded linux systems.
> >I don't remember getting negative reports, so don't think the current
> >situation without a copy of ltdl is bad. also at least two projects are
> >libraries used by other applications, in one situation the library is
> >actually an implemention of an ABI plugin standard.
>
> Your approach is outright heresy.
[...]

FWIW, I don't agree with this notion.  Let his users decide.
(Also, there were some changes done to libltdl in the last year or so
explicitly to allow using an installed library only.  No outcry back
then.)

I don't think Libtool needs to provide a pkg-config file, but providing
a macro to use an external libltdl, and having the macro set LTDLINCL
and LIBLTDL (or other variables) correctly for use should work just
fine.