Re: Profiling a library built with libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Profiling a library built with libtool
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:27:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Joseph Wakeling wrote:

Adding -pg to LDFLAGS doesn't help although I think you were right that
previously it was not being passed to the linker.  The code is threaded
and I don't know if that might affect things.

The profiling support might not be thread safe. While it may seem counter-productive to program tuning, it is usually recommended to use limited optimization, or no optimization at all.

If this _is_ a bug in libtool then I would like very much to help in
tracking it down, so any advice here is welcome.

As long as libtool is passing the -pg from CFLAGS to the compiler, and the -pg from LFLAGS to the linker, and the correct startup module is being used (indicated by a gmon.out file being written) then I think that libtool is no longer the issue.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn