Rare OS's in config.guess

From: Gary Kumfert
Subject: Rare OS's in config.guess
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:14:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

How does one get new build system triplets cannonized
into config.guess?  Its not clear to me which of the
autotools tools (autoconf, automake, or libtool) owns this.

I ask because supercomputers my software goes onto are
are increasingly cross-compiled systems.  They have a
linux-based head nodes but compute nodes run
a lean-as-you-can-get OS (think stripped
down program loader).  There's no UNIX shell on these
compute nodes, so we're trying to figure out the "right"
way to get './configure --target=HW-VENDOR-OS' into
the autotools system (assuming its not in a pre-release
already.)

For example, the Cray XT3's & XT4's are coming up
        x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
and should be
        x86_64-cray-linux-gnu
for head nodes and I can imagine something like
        ./configure --target=x85_64-cray-catamount-3.0
for compute nodes.

Similar for IBM's BlueGene,
        powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu
should be something like
        powerpc64-ibm-linux-gnu
for compute nodes and
        powerpc64-ibm-bgl_cnk   (BlueGene/L Compute Node Kernel)
for compute nodes.

Help?

Gary

  Gary Kumfert, Ph.D.                               <address@hidden>
  Center for Applied Scientific Computing          phone: 925-424-2580
  Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory           fax:   925-423-9338
  P.O. Box 808,    L-550
  Livermore, CA 94551-0808