Re: Creating ONLY static libraries

From: Jason Curl
Subject: Re: Creating ONLY static libraries
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:29:40 +0200

Omri Azencot wrote:
Hello
I am using libtool 1.5.23 during the building process, I am also using
autoconf(2.61) to create the configure file.
in configure.ac I used the macro AC_DISABLE_SHARED, and in the log I got the
following line:

checking whether to build shared libraries... no

but, after "make install" the package did installed in the installation
folder files of the type *.la *.dll.a.

My goal is to create only static libraries of this module, am I missing
something ?
If you don't need to have the libraries installed for a convenience library, use "noinst_*". See:
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#A-Library

Similarly for libtool:
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#Static-libraries

The answer from Mike is correct, they're static libraries that other programs may link to if wanted.

How do you plan to use this library?