Re: libltdl convenience missing make targets

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libltdl convenience missing make targets
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:27:43 +0200

Hello,

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 06:47:38AM CEST:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Philip Kovacs wrote:
>
>> I'm using libtool 1.5.24 with libltdl as a convenience library in subdir
>> ./libltdl.
[...]
>> The problem is that make targets 'dist' and 'distcheck' yield the error:
>>
>> make: *** No rule to make target `mkinstalldirs', needed by `distdir'.
>> Stop.
>
> This seems like an Automake issue rather than a libtool issue.  There is a
> mkinstalldirs script which should be added to your project by 'automake
> --add-missing'.  To be totally sure, use
> 'automake --add-missing --force-missing --copy'.

Automake is deprecating this script, as 'install-sh -d' provides all the
needed functionality.  It is only distributed if found, but not
installed any more.

Say, Philip, could you post complete output of 'make dist' so we can see
whether the failure is actually in libltdl, or rather your package?  It
can happen if either one was treated with an older Automake.  Anyway
there was another bug wrt. 'make dist' when an innermore package was
treated with an older Automake version and the outermore one with 1.10
IIRC (not that this is the case here, I don't know).