Re: Linking with both -release and -version-info

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Linking with both -release and -version-info
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 23:36:16 +0200

Hello Joe,

* Joe Orton wrote on Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 10:00:06PM CEST:
> Hi.  Is it correct to assume that libtool does support the simultaneous
> use of -release and -version-info when linking a given library, by
> design?  The manual only talks about -release as an alternative to
> -version-info.

FWIW, I don't know (if it works portably).

> I would like to use -release to make a library SONAME vary where the ABI
> changes with various build/configure options, and otherwise version it
> as normal using -version-info.

Could you show a small example of how you would like to use it,
and what semantics you expect?  So that we could put it in the new
testsuite for HEAD and thus can find out how well it works?  Thanks.
(The bit about the expected semantics is probably nontrivial to encode
in a test; at least it seems that way as we currently do not have a
test that uses -release, nor one that verifies -version-info semantics.)

FWIW, we never integrated Keith Packard's -soname patches (Subject:
"Alternate SONAME values", if someone wants to search the archives).