Re: Making shared libraries (DLLs) on Windows: -no-undefined

From: Olly Betts
Subject: Re: Making shared libraries (DLLs) on Windows: -no-undefined
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 23:12:53 +0000 (UTC)

On 2007-06-23, Peter O'Gorman <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 17:37 +0000, Olly Betts wrote:
>> On 2007-05-01, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > Generally I think you should be able to just use it everywhere.  The
>> > Libtool testsuite uses it throughout and I cannot remember a test
>> > failure due to it.  I'm however not sure whether there was an issue with
>> > C++ code some time ago (so this data point may be FUD; sorry for not
>> > investigating now).
>>
>> I encountered problems on Mac OS X with C++ code.  I don't have access
>> to OS X to check, but this is what I have in configure.ac from working
>> on this before:
>
> -no-undefined on Mac OS X should work as advertised and fail to link if
> there are undefined symbols. It is a pity that you don't have the error
> any longer, we might be able to find the root cause.

I looked at the commit log, but that didn't shed any further light on
what the problem was.

But I've just stumbled across this old message written by you - I wonder
if the issue I hit was related, though I'm not aware of any duplicated
symbols:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.libtool.patches/7242/focus=7273

Cheers,
    Olly