Re: Libtool is "unfatting" my universal binaries

From: Benoit SIGOURE
Subject: Re: Libtool is "unfatting" my universal binaries
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 12:11:10 +0200

On Oct 7, 2007, at 5:07 AM, Brian wrote:

I am trying to make a universal binary out of our software on OSX. The general strategy is to configure with LDFLAGS/CXXFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch ppc". This seems to work for our convenience libraries, which become fat, but when it comes time to make one of our distribution libraries, libtemt, libtool recognizes the convenience libs are fat and "unfats" them!

I produced a log: http://pastey.net/74970

I assume I am doing something wrong, although I know that libtool is unaware of mac universal binaries. Does anyone have suggestions for getting my libs to be i386/ppc, without resorting to building on the actual hardware for each and lipo'ing them together?

Thanks and cheers,
Brian

Hello Brian,
Sorry I'm not able to help you, though I'd like to warn you that several Free projects have been bitten by universal binaries because they haven't been careful enough to test the binary produced on both Intel Macs and PPC Macs. Compiling with "-arch i386 -arch ppc" and then running make check gives the false impression that the binary produced work, because people easily forget it works only on the $host. That's why they often build the the Intel and PPC versions separately (and thus test them separately) and then `lipo' them together.

Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory