RE: Relinking issue

From: Duft Markus
Subject: RE: Relinking issue
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 09:25:15 +0200

Hi Ralf!

>> Somehow executables are still relinked, and i just can't find the
>> place where this happens. Something in the back of my mind tells me
>> that it has something to do with the lt-${name} executables, could
>> this be correct?
>
> It's the other way round: because relinking is done, the
> .libs/lt-$name executable files are created.

Ah, i see. This time i left this part alone ;o) So libtool may do
whatever it has to do...

>> In my last port of libtool, i simply removed the lt- from the program
>> name and as far as i remember this solved the issue. Still i think
>> this is not correct.
>
> No, that's merely bugging around the symptoms.  If you want to
> backport the real fix from CVS HEAD to branch-1-5, then I suggest you
> go and look up the patch that fixed the issue in HEAD, and any
> changes that it depends on.  Sorry that I don't have the resources to
> do so, but if I were you, I would either simply base upon CVS HEAD,
> or go look up the changes through CVS or the viewcvs web interface,
> and corresponding discussions in the mailing list archives if any.

Yes, i think the same about that hack ;o) I now got everything right by
adding a few lines to ltmain.in regarding the
shlibpath_overrides_runpath variable. I've attached the whole patch i
made for my compiler (namely parity). If anybody could have a quick look
at it i would be glad, otherwise it doesn't break my heart ;o)

I have only access to a very limited amount of different machines,
mainly interix/windows, so i cannot do too many tests for this. (on
interix both GCC and parity work fine as expected (GCC 3.3 still failing
the hardcode test, as it was before too))

Regarding CVS HEAD: since this is all for production use on many, many
platforms, i can't upgrade (it's simply not my decision). Is HEAD
somewhat stable anyway? I noticed that binutils 2.18 use 2.1a, and - arg
- we can't build binutils on HP anymore as i heard from a colleague.

Cheers, Markus

--
17.-19. Oktober 2007
Salomon Automation am 24. Deutschen Logistik-Kongress der BVL, Berlin; Stand

14. November 2007
Salomon Automation an der LogIT Retail im Leopoldsmuseum in Wien

Salomon Automation GmbH - Friesachstrasse 15 - A-8114 Friesach bei Graz
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Friesach bei Graz
UID-NR:ATU28654300 - Firmenbuchnummer: 49324 K
Firmenbuchgericht: Landesgericht fur Zivilrechtssachen Graz