Re: Why is "setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH very bad"?

From: Howard Chu
Subject: Re: Why is "setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH very bad"?
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:54:14 -0700

Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Wednesday 24 October 2007, Tom Treadway wrote:
I've seen very frequent references to "LD_LIBRARY_PATH bad".
Is there a reference that summaries this badness?

it largely depends on what you're trying to do.  must of the "it's bad dont do
it" mantra is based around people shipping libraries and wrongly forcing the
env var into the runtime environment instead of using proper rpath/ld.so.conf
mechanisms.  using it for debugging an application is generally OK.
-mike

One approach that works for packaged binaries is to embed rpaths that are padded out with excess NULs, and to provide a tool to rewrite those paths at install time. I suppose you could write a tool using libbfd to rewrite the binaries in a more portable/less kludgy manner.

--
  -- Howard Chu