Re: removing rpath from libtool

From: BRIAND, Michel M
Subject: Re: removing rpath from libtool
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:22:02 +0100

Le mercredi 24 octobre 2007 à 18:30 -0500, Bob Friesenhahn a écrit :
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

>> I really don't see the need for rpath at all, maybe it makes sense on
>> other systems, but we are on Linux & Solaris.
>
> Well, if I install a shared library in /opt/foo-package/lib and link a
> program against it without an rpath, how will the runtime linker find
> it otherwise?  Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH is very bad, for many reasons.

Solaris provides the 'crle' command, and Linux provides the 'ldconfig'
command for formally configuring the run-time linker search path so
that evil LD_LIBRARY_PATH and rpath are not required on that system.
Root access is required in order to use these utilities.

It can not be safely assumed that a non-default configured path will
be in the run-time linker search path on some other similar system.

I have seen a --disable-rpath option provided by some packages (or
--enable-rpath) and maybe libtool should support it.  If the user
disables rpath, then it is then up to the user to try to make the
program work.

Bob

Hi,

I would like to know why LD_LIBRARY_PATH is evil.

Because, here, we have several thousand of applications (!) installed on NFS shares that have each :
- a bin directory
- a lib directory
- an environment file that set up PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH and an alias for users to access/use the application.

This setup is not perfect but it works for years and with a great number of applications (from basic tools like subversion to bigger like OpenOffice, with Open Source, Proprietary and Internally-made software).

We commonly use LD_LIBRARY_PATH for all our application relocation and crle to enable those relocated directories. We maintain a centralized "master crle file" on NFS share also.

Our platforms are Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, OSF/1 and IRIX.

Best regards,
Michel
This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee. It may contain privileged information.
If you are not the addressee you must not copy, distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it.
If you have received it in error please delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Security Notice: all e-mail, sent to or from this address, may be accessed by someone other than the recipient, for system management and security reasons. This access is controlled under Regulation of security reasons.
This access is controlled under Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, Lawful Business Practises.