Re: Libtool doesn't set -rpath automatically when needed?

From: Benoit SIGOURE
Subject: Re: Libtool doesn't set -rpath automatically when needed?
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 14:52:25 +0100

On Nov 3, 2007, at 12:57 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

* Benoit SIGOURE wrote on Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 11:44:15AM CET:
OK great so maybe I can copy/paste the part of AC_PROG_LIBTOOL that
does this in my own macro so I can portably figure out the -rpath/-R/
etc. options needed and then add them to BOOST_THREADS_LDFLAGS,
right?  I don't think it'd be a good idea to add AC_REQUIRE
([AC_PROG_LIBTOOL]) to my BOOST_THREADS macros...
How does that sound?

You don't *need* to find out how -rpath/-R works.  Just pass -R to
libtool, it will translate that into -Wl,-rpath or whatever else.

You *only* need to find out how -rpath/-R works in case the users of
your macro may not want to use Libtool at all. In that case, be advised to use the gnulib module havelib, because it does exactly what you need.

Oh I see. Great. All in all, I think I do better document that "libtool is required" because it does solve all sorts of problems. What's the recommended way of doing this? Simply stating the dependency in the documentation and trust the users to Do The Right Thing? AC_REQUIRE([AC_PROG_LIBTOOL])? Doing some m4-check to ensure that something m4_define'd by AC_PROG_LIBTOOL is indeed defined when my macro is invoked? Or doing a runtime check to check that one of libtool's variables is properly set and bailing out with an AC_MSG_ERROR if not?

--
Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory