Re: Libtool uses obsolete Autoconf macros

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Libtool uses obsolete Autoconf macros
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 01:41:00 +0100

Hello Benoit,

* Benoit SIGOURE wrote on Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 10:52:31PM CET:
> I don't know whether this is intended (for, say, backward
> compatibility with older Autoconf) but Libtool uses obsolete macros
> which generates "spurious" warning in my testsuite.

Yes, exactly for backward compatibility.

A patch that rewrites the uses that also provides this same
compatibility would probably be good in order to avoid the warnings.
It could define AS_HELP_STRING suitably if it were not defined yet,
and contain a comment to remove the define once we assume new enough
Autoconf.