Libtool modules and symbol clashes

From: Simon White
Subject: Libtool modules and symbol clashes
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 10:03:48 -0500

Hi,

I have some modules with the same exported interface.  All modules are built to
hide all symbols by default with only the public ones being marked as
__attribute__((visibility("default"))).  They are designed to be drop in
replacements, however sometimes more than one of these modules may need to be
loaded at he same time.

I've successfully lt_dlopen'ed multiple libraries and used lt_dlsym to resolve
the names in each.  Calling via the returned pointers works as expected.

However if one of those modules internally calls a function that is also marked
as being exported it does not necessarily call the function in its own library.
 Depending on order it may call the function that exists in the other library
instead.  Note that both modules are only manually loaded and neither are

Is this expected behaviour and/or is there a way to stop it?

Packages from MandrivaLinux 2007.1
libtool-1.5.20-9mdv2007.0
libltdl3-1.5.20-9mdv2007.0
binutils-2.16.91.0.7-3mdv2007.0