Moving Installed Libraries built with libtool

From: Christophe Eymard
Subject: Moving Installed Libraries built with libtool
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:16:22 +0100

Hello list,

I apologize in advance if this problem has already been talked about on
this list, but I have been unable to pinpoint the correct keyword to use
to find said discussion.

Here is my problem ;

I have compiled a big application (namely GStreamer), which comes as a
series of lots of shared libraries. When I do so, I actually install it
via make install in a custom prefix in my home directory.

Now, I would like to be able to share this built version across other
computers on which I don't log in with the same user name.

If I move the libraries from their original installation prefix, it
kinda screws up. I can of course work around that by redefining
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and other variables to include all the directories I
need, but I don't like much this solution.

GStreamer installs by default a bunch of libraries in $PREFIX/lib, but
it uses lots of other libraries in $PREFIX/lib/gstreamer-0.10, which are
_not_ in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I assume there that this is some libtool
magic that does all the dirty work by hardcoding some paths.

Here is the thing; I would like to move my installation while keeping
the magic ! Basically, I just want to change the prefix. Is there anyway
I could do that using libtool ? Or is there any other tool I could use ?

Thanks in advance

--
Christophe Eymard