Re: libtool chooses the wrong library version to link against

From: Andreas Metzler
Subject: Re: libtool chooses the wrong library version to link against
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 19:27:15 +0100

On 2007-12-01 Roumen Petrov <address@hidden> wrote:
> Peter O'Gorman wrote:
[...]
> [...]

Removing all -L/usr/lib from the libtool invocation indeed fixes the
problem.

> It should from a dependent library.
> I guess that first this is from opencdk and second from gpg-error.
> I think from opencdk (/usr/lib/libopencdk.la ?) in reported case result is:

> -L/usr/lib -lopencdk -L/usr/lib -lgcrypt

> Since GNU crypto use xxx-config files to find location may be
> opencdk-config report -L/usr/lib ... and as result -L... appear in Makefile.

> Andreas what is content of Makefile (i.e. please check for -L.. flag) ?
> As example you could run:
> grep -e -L */Makefile
[...]

(SID)address@hidden:/tmp/GNUTLS/gnutls26-2.1.7$ grep -E -- -L src/Makefile
LIBGNUTLS_EXTRA_LIBS = -L${exec_prefix}/lib -lgnutls-extra -L/usr/lib -lopencdk
-L/usr/lib -lgcrypt -L/usr/lib -lgpg-error -L/usr/lib -lnsl -L/usr/lib -lz
-llzo2 -L${exec_prefix}/lib -lgnutls -L/usr/lib -ltasn1 -lgcrypt
LIBGNUTLS_LIBS = -L${exec_prefix}/lib -lgnutls -L/usr/lib -ltasn1 -lgcrypt
LIBTASN1_LIBS = -L/usr/lib -ltasn1
LTLIBOPENCDK = -L/usr/lib -lopencdk -L/usr/lib -lgcrypt -L/usr/lib -lgpg-error
-L/usr/lib -lnsl -L/usr/lib -lz
LTLIBREADLINE = -L/usr/lib -lreadline
LTLIBZ = -L/usr/lib -lz

I started checking with zlib and opencdk, both get the -L/usr/lib from
a AC_LIB_HAVE_LINKFLAGS check.

tasn gets it from running "libtasn1-config --libs".

I guess these are bugs in AC_LIB_HAVE_LINKFLAGS and libtasn1-config.
cu and- weak autofoo -reas
so grateful to you.'