Re: Favoring static linking at configure time

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Favoring static linking at configure time
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 21:55:02 +0100

Hello,

* Brian Dessent wrote on Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 07:20:40PM CET:
> Benoit Sigoure wrote:
>
> > > Of course there is: -Wl,-Bstatic -lfoo -Wl,-Bdynamic
> >
> > Hmm I didn't know this.  How portable is it?  I guess a gccism, but
> > is it even portable across versions/ports of GCC?
[...]
> -B seems to be fairly portable; all of the following support it:

I implemented support for it in Libtool a while ago:
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.libtool.patches/6727/focus=6730>

it was postponed due to "2.2 being out real soon now", and it being
possibly destabilizing to HEAD.

Maybe some data points to the end that it's rather stable (I think I
tested it pretty well at some point) would help.