Re: Avoid la files.

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Avoid la files.
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:07:47 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Maybe we can try on a linux box, w32 won't work, since i don't have my
patches ported for HEAD ;o(

Yes, that should be sufficient.  I can't tell you yet whether it would
help, though, as I'm not yet sure about the actual problem cause.

Something that many people are not aware of is that 'dtrace' (as found in Sun's Solaris 10 and Apple's OS X Leopard) may be used to investigate performance problems in libtool. I mention this because I have never seen it mentioned on any autotools list before. Carefully crafted dtrace scripts can identify which programs are being executed, how many times they are executed, how long the execution took, the arguments which produced the longest run times, and which program was responsible for executing them. Virtually anything may be analyzed using 'dtrace'.

I have not had any spare time for months now, but I did try running dtrace on a shell script I have here and I quickly learned that the shell was executing some of its startup ("dot") files and so some shell code was being needlessly executed over and over. Something which had not been obvious to me became immediately obvious due to using dtrace.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn