SWIG + Libtool

From: Dustin J. Mitchell
Subject: SWIG + Libtool
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 00:23:04 -0500

I would expect this to have come up before, but my searches haven't
uncovered anything.

I'm trying to build Perl modules, constructed via SWIG, within an
application that is otherwise built with autoconf/automake/libtool.
Has anyone found/created a natural way to do this?

My first crack at this was to let libtool do all of the linking,
substituting in some compiler flags from `perl -MExtUtils::Embed
cflags` et al.  This works fine as long as libtool's notion of the
library extension is the same as that which the perl DynaLib module is
expecting.  While this is the case on Linux (.so), it is not the case
on my Mac (.dylib vs. .bundle).

I'm working on a different scheme now, which is basically to shell out
to a ExtUtils::MakeMaker makefile for all of the module building.
Hooking this up to automake will be a bit tricky, but that's a problem
for another mailing list.  One thing I do need to know, however, is
how to reliably translate *.la filenames into filenames I can hand to
the MakeMaker makefile.

I realize this is fairly general, and I will return with more specific
questions, but if anyone can give me a push in the right direction, it
would certainly accelerate the process :)

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com