Re: multiple libraries with inter-dependencies and relinking with DESTDI

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: multiple libraries with inter-dependencies and relinking with DESTDIR
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:44:45 +0100

* Mike Frysinger wrote on Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 08:29:29PM CET:
> On Thursday 10 January 2008, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > * Mike Frysinger wrote on Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 09:52:36PM CET:
> > > when doing `make install DESTDIR=/some/place`, the relinking is fine for
> > > libone.la.  but when relinking libtwo.la, -L$libdir is incorrectly added
> > > to the linking step.  an -L flag pointing to the $DESTDIR/$libdir is
> > > added before this and that's great ... it means libtwo.la is relinked
> > > against the new/current version of libone.la and not some random old
> > > version in $libdir. the problem with -L$libdir being added *at all* is
> > > cross-compiling.  this path can easily be a host libpath which means it
> > > gets searched before the normal cross-compiler library paths.

> > My qualm with changing that code is: sometimes we do *need* to add both
> > of those paths.  Otherwise, users will scream about breaking their
> > legitimate setups.  Now, how to find out when it is needed and when not?
>
> can you describe such a legitimate setup ?  off the top of my head, i cant
> think of one.

I think this is such a setup (but I haven't tried it out now, please say
so if you want me to try it):

Non-cross-compiling:  I have a package, am not root.  Its libraries
depend on some in /usr/lib.  I do
  make install DESTDIR=/temp/dest

(which needs relinking, thus needs the libraries from /usr/lib),
create a tarball from /temp/dest/usr/local/...
and hand that tarball over to the superuser to install it.

FWIW, this setup avoids that the compiler is ever run by root.

Cheers,
RAlf