Re: make -s

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: make -s
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 21:30:21 +0100

* Mike Frysinger wrote on Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 08:58:09PM CET:
> On Thursday 10 January 2008, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >
> > What I meant was: even with
> >   make -s LIBTOOLFLAGS=--silent
> >
> > there will be some leftover output done by libtool.  If somebody wants
> > to fix that, be invited to provide a (complete) patch (best including
> > testsuite amend; the stresstest in Libtool HEAD would probably come in
> > handy).
> >
> > If you want all tools silenced which are called by make, then I suggest
> > to simply use
> >   make >/dev/null || make
>
> well, we're after the automatic output going away, not intended output.

So what's intended output?  That by make, libtool is apparently not.
What about makeinfo, texi2dvi, dvips?  autoconf/aclocal/automake reruns,
configure reruns?  Are you suggesting each of them parse $MAKEFLAGS and
go silent with that, too?

libtool need not be invoked by make alone.  There are multitudinous
other build systems, some of which call libtool at times.  Should
libtool parse their $TOOLFLAGS too?

I merely think that MAKEFLAGS is for make, and other flags should be for
other programs.  And hey, that's just my personal opinion, not cast in
stone or anything; but I would like to be shown why another choice is
better.

If all you want is libtool to go silent globally in your package then
what about just
  AC_SUBST([AM_LIBTOOLFLAGS], [--silent])

in configure.ac.

> but i guess you could (reasonably) argue that status messages intended
> to be seen should be sent to stderr, not stdout ...

Well that's another point.

FWIW, for me, make output is not read by me (unless I debug a build),
but parsed by my editor.  It's good at throwing away what I don't want
to see.