Re: make -s

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: Re: make -s
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:39:24 -0500

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 09:30:21PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Mike Frysinger wrote on Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 08:58:09PM CET:
> > On Thursday 10 January 2008, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > >
> > > What I meant was: even with
> > >   make -s LIBTOOLFLAGS=--silent
> > >
> > > there will be some leftover output done by libtool.  If somebody wants
> > > to fix that, be invited to provide a (complete) patch (best including
> > > testsuite amend; the stresstest in Libtool HEAD would probably come in
> > > handy).
> > >
> > > If you want all tools silenced which are called by make, then I suggest
> > > to simply use
> > >   make >/dev/null || make
> >
> > well, we're after the automatic output going away, not intended output.
>
> So what's intended output?  That by make, libtool is apparently not.
> What about makeinfo, texi2dvi, dvips?  autoconf/aclocal/automake reruns,
> configure reruns?  Are you suggesting each of them parse $MAKEFLAGS and
> go silent with that, too?
>
> libtool need not be invoked by make alone.  There are multitudinous
> other build systems, some of which call libtool at times.  Should
> libtool parse their $TOOLFLAGS too?
>
> I merely think that MAKEFLAGS is for make, and other flags should be for
> other programs.  And hey, that's just my personal opinion, not cast in
> stone or anything; but I would like to be shown why another choice is
> better.

Well, I might be over simplifying things because I don't understand the
big picture. When I type 'make -s' I assume that the compiler commands
that make kicks off will not be sent to stdout/stderr. I do expect that
if the user has some stuff in the Makefile that prints to stdout/stderr
that it would show up there.

Now, before I started using libtool and I only used automake, when I
typed 'make -s' I didn't see any g++ or linker commands. After I added
libtool, some g++ commands started to appear. I thought it would seem
natural that the -s to the Makefile would be supported by the libtool
generated Makefile code.

It was just my "This is how things should intuitively work" reaction.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi