Re: make -s

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: make -s
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:15:12 -0500

On Thursday 10 January 2008, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Mike Frysinger wrote on Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 08:58:09PM CET:
> > On Thursday 10 January 2008, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > > What I meant was: even with
> > >   make -s LIBTOOLFLAGS=--silent
> > >
> > > there will be some leftover output done by libtool.  If somebody wants
> > > to fix that, be invited to provide a (complete) patch (best including
> > > testsuite amend; the stresstest in Libtool HEAD would probably come in
> > > handy).
> > >
> > > If you want all tools silenced which are called by make, then I suggest
> > > to simply use
> > >   make >/dev/null || make
> >
> > well, we're after the automatic output going away, not intended output.
>
> So what's intended output?  That by make, libtool is apparently not.
> What about makeinfo, texi2dvi, dvips?  autoconf/aclocal/automake reruns,
> configure reruns?  Are you suggesting each of them parse $MAKEFLAGS and
> go silent with that, too?
>
> libtool need not be invoked by make alone.  There are multitudinous
> other build systems, some of which call libtool at times.  Should
> libtool parse their $TOOLFLAGS too?
>
> I merely think that MAKEFLAGS is for make, and other flags should be for
> other programs.  And hey, that's just my personal opinion, not cast in
> stone or anything; but I would like to be shown why another choice is
> better.

i think we're focusing on the "big" offenders here.  libtool is certainly much
more prevalent than any other tool cited here when combined with autotools.
taking that into consideration, the fact that libtool outputs status
information that amounts pretty closely (almost exactly) to what make itself
would output, the idea of having it be autosilenced according to -s is a
common (and logical) expectation for people.  i'm not saying this is grounds
for "this must be done!", just putting it out there.

there is some precedence here with tools automatically checking MAKEFLAGS for
the s flag and tweaking their status output, but those tend to be one-off
things integrated into existing build systems.  the other common behavior in
the world is letting the Makefile itself decide.  since libtool/automake are
integrated tightly, another direction to take things would be to have
automake's default behavior conditionally execute libtool with --silent
depending on MAKEFLAGS.  while POSIX dictates the portability of MAKEFLAGS,
autotools is a superset of such things, so i dont know how much that comes
into play with these decisions.

> If all you want is libtool to go silent globally in your package then
> what about just
>   AC_SUBST([AM_LIBTOOLFLAGS], [--silent])
>
> in configure.ac.

but i want make cake and it too ! :)