Re: make -s

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: make -s
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:43:15 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Bob Rossi wrote:
Well, I might be over simplifying things because I don't understand the
big picture. When I type 'make -s' I assume that the compiler commands
that make kicks off will not be sent to stdout/stderr. I do expect that
if the user has some stuff in the Makefile that prints to stdout/stderr
that it would show up there.

Yes, all 'make -s' is supposed to do is to cause make not to provide information about what it is doing. It should not influence anything else.

The only contract that libtool should offer is that if --silent is supplied, it should similarly not provide information about what it is doing. It should only provide information about what has gone wrong. Unfortunately, sometimes it is very difficult to decipher an error message unless you know the precise action which was being performed.

The automake project would be a better place to add extra smarts for a more silent build when using libtool.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn