Re: bi-arch build problem: cannot build 64-bit libs on ppc64

From: Maynard Johnson
Subject: Re: bi-arch build problem: cannot build 64-bit libs on ppc64
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 10:22:20 -0600

Peter O'Gorman wrote:
Maynard Johnson wrote:
Peter O'Gorman wrote:
Maynard Johnson wrote:
Hi,
I know this topic has been discussed on the mailing list before, but
I've not been able to pick out all of the relevant pieces of information
to solve the problem for my particular situation.  Hopefully, someone on
the list can help.

My platform is ppc64 SLES 10 SP1, libtool version 1.5.24.  I have a
project built using the standard tools -- aclocal, autoconf, automake.
The default configuration builds everything as 32-bit.  Prior to
integrating libtool into this project, I was also able to build and
install 64-bit programs and libraries by prefacing my ./configure
command with:
         CFLAGS="-m64" CXXFLAGS=-m64"

Are you sure that the build is using libtool-1.5.24? The libtool
--config results that you attached are the same for 64 and 32 bit builds
(sys_lib_search_path_spec) and I am pretty sure that we fixed that in
1.5.24.

./libtool --version, please.
Here's the --version output:

   #> ./libtool --version
   ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.24 (1.1220.2.455 2007/06/24 02:13:29)

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

I really appreciate your help!
Thanks.
-Maynard
Sorry, I know it is broken for you, I am just trying to figure out why.

Peter