Re: libtool windows dll suffix revision

From: Roumen Petrov
Subject: Re: libtool windows dll suffix revision
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 20:56:21 +0200

Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
On 3/15/08, Peter Rosin <address@hidden> wrote:
With your suggestion of always using age, you would get dll-7.dll and
 dll-8.dll for your examples, but you would also get dll-7.dll for my
 example, and then you would have the same file name for two incompatible
 dlls, which is a lot worse than having the same file name for two
 compatible dlls.

 Please explain further, if I have made any false assumptions.

Thank you for your response!!!

I reread the libtool versioning system, and it looks like I got it wrong.
It looks like you already doing what I request, but I did not put the
numbers right.

current = newest
age = current - oldest

dll_suffix = current - age = oldest

I am truly sorry... I did not understand that I have to calculate the
age delta my-self when producing libtool version, and age is not the
oldest.

Thank you,
Alon.

I think then version support is useless for mingw builds.
Project that use native makefiles don't support version.

May be -release is better for you needs.

Roumen