installing modules sans .la file and ugo-x

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: installing modules sans .la file and ugo-x
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:55:06 +0100

I would like to install a "module" (ie, package-private shared-object
library to be loaded by libltdl) sans the .la file and w/ perms -x.
Sans .la because the package has other mechanisms for keeping track
of modules (and their dependencies); the .la is superfluous.  Perm -x
mostly because i'm irrationally paranoid about +x.

(I suppose for full compatibility these actions cannot be done for
all systems, but i really want them anyway for my system.  Is
pandering to specific systems/setups outside libtool's charter?)

Previously, i posted a script that achieves these goals post-install,
but it was (rightfully) denounced, so now i'm wondering if libtool
has such support built-in.  I couldn't find any hints in the 1.5.24
documentation (hence the script) and the 2.2 docs (node "Installing
Libraries") is similarly lacking.

thi