Re: libtool C++ link bug with -lm functions with Sun Workshop compiler

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: libtool C++ link bug with -lm functions with Sun Workshop compiler
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:19:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Tim Mooney wrote:
That means that doing something like

AC_INIT(lttest, 0.60.5)
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR(configure.ac)
AC_PROG_CXX
AC_LANG([C++])

AC_CHECK_FUNCS(sqrt)
AC_OUTPUT

will always detect sqrt(), because the C++ compiler added `-lm -lc'
behind the scenes.

Then it seems like you did something wrong and libtool is not to blame. Perhaps it is not best to run most of your configure script using the C++ compiler. Only run the C++ compiler to test C++ things.

I use

LT_LANG([C++])

to tell libtool that I need support for C++. Then I do C++ related testing like this

AC_LANG_PUSH(C++)
  some C++ tests
AC_LANG_POP

This works great under Solaris!