Re: Announcing Dolt, a drop-in Libtool replacement which cuts build time

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Announcing Dolt, a drop-in Libtool replacement which cuts build times in half
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:40:42 -0400

On 10 Apr 2008, at 02:18, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 07:51:57AM CEST:
On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
This is a list off shell functions that appear in the generated libtool script on my linux system (one of Ralf's patches is applied). Yes, we could probably move these around some to get func_mode_compile closer to
the top.
The important thing is not how close func_mode_compile() is to the top,
but how close the code which invokes it is to the top.

Most of these optimizations are already done in 2.2.2.  The code
invoking func_mode_compile is right after its definition.

Wrt. moving functions, func_win32_libid, func_generate_dlsyms, and
func_extract_an_archive, func_extract_archives can still be moved
after func_mode_compile.  That gets another 10% overhead reduction.
My patches from last night get about the same amount.

func_mode_help can also be easily moved, I am testing a patch currently
that moves all of these functions to after mode_compile.

Pity that the following spews garbage :-(

] awk '/^func_/ { inside=$1; next; }
/func_/ { match($0, "func_[a-zA-Z0-9_]*"); print inside, substr($0,RSTART,RLENGTH); }
' +release/libtool | tsort -q
func_mode_uninstall
func_emit_cwrapperexe_src
func_mode_link