Re: "libtool" performance...

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: "libtool" performance...
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 20:42:11 +0200

* Roland Mainz wrote on Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 04:59:15PM CEST:

> Ok... but "dolt" may been to be adopted to other compilers (like Sun
> Workshop/Forte/Studio, icc etc.) and then it will be a bit more than the
> 10 lines (and adopting it for other POSIX-like shells may be nice, too -

Josh measured against Libtool 1.5.x.  Libtool 2.2.2 has a lot less
overhead in compile mode than 1.5.x, see the numbers Ross posted, and
the list archive of libtool-patches for several improvements including
numbers; and we are currently working on improving things a bit more,
targeting improvements that help all shells which support XSI
extensions (and falling back to the slow code for other shells).

While the multi-thousand line script can't get as fast as dolt -- after
all, dolt isn't portable to non-bash, also there's functionality that
libtool compile mode offers that dolt doesn't -- we expect compile mode
to become fast enough that the overhead shouldn't be a big problem for
practical use, and we expect that to come without the need for users to
change their configure.ac scripts at all.

Meanwhile, updating to 2.2.2 would be a good idea, its link mode has
also become considerably faster than 1.5.x at least for some use cases.
We would appreciate bug reports for particular remaining performance
bottlenecks.