moving to git

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: moving to git
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 10:09:31 +0200

Hello libtool list readers,

the repository for Libtool is moving to git.  This means that shortly,
the CVS repository will become unusable.  It may receive one more
commit, removing all files and adding a pointer to the new git repo.

We redid the conversion from CVS to git, in comparison to the previous
conversion (which gave the read-only git clone).  Here's what we
changed:

- fixed some bogus data that was leaked in from another git repo,
- rewrote the Author: name and email fields to match the first person
  listed in the respective ChangeLog entry, rather than the CVS commit
  userid of the person doing the commit.  The latter is still used for
  the Commit: name and email fields.

We felt that this second step was useful because many changes have been
written by people who haven't applied them, and giving credit to them
would be nice.

Now, before we set all things in stone, we'd like to avoid any hard
feelings as long as things can still be fixed:  The conversion causes,
among others, several people to be listed with several email addresses.

So we ask you to go and check out the git repository.  If there are any
serious errors, then please notify use ASAP.  It won't be possible to
fix up past history later.

With that said, here's the git repo:
  <http://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=libtool>

You can already check it out, but you shouldn't rely on it being set in
stone yet, due to the above.  We will notify this list once that
changes.  Bootstrapping from that repo will work once we allow commits
to it, esp. that first commit that will fix stamp creation.  ;-)